Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:
agnes wrote:
DRR wrote:
I think what he is saying, and please correct me if I'm wrong...

For most of us coming up in a religious family with whatever form of indoctrination, at some point our brain may reason away God's existence, however we keep Him as a fall back option. (69's crutch term) I've heard the axiom, "there are no atheists in a fox hole." And it applies properly to me.

as far as that goes, and i have said this before….i don't really know what "god" is, i don't know what it means, other than what people go around saying it means. and then there is the whole, whose or which god is true or not, who's got the secret code, or whatever. and then the whole, this here notion is validated because it is backed by GOD! whether it is homophobic, misogynistic, racist, or not! says so in this book, or at least hints at it, (it happens!)! it looks to me that "god" as we know him/her/it was born of human ideas, and has suspiciously human qualities. so what is it you are trying to convince me of? that humans have a wild imagination? nothing wrong with a healthy imagination, but let's not get too carried away with our own self importance, backed by GOD!

humans have enough trouble understanding each other sometimes, without complicating things further with lack of understanding/ and or agreement about supernatural creatures!

just what is important?!

That Agnes, is perhaps the most important question! I admit I'm not smart enough to be an atheist. Hopefully, not dumb enough to really believe that any god/s I could possibly imagine, was, is, or will be 'GOD" in my dust! (whatever bloody name "." happens to be) But, in such ignorance I leave myself open to such spiritually that shall overcome me when I 'kick the bucket'. I have my reasons for this 'foxhole' of 'spiritual' belief that i know to be reasonable but personally anecdotal. But you have asked Agnes "just what is important?!" Well, it certainly isn't my one time 'out of the body experience'!

I suppose each of us humans know what's important to self (to 'love' and be 'loved') and perhaps even those 'loved ones' around us. And thus, our wee world goes ticking on bye the bye until our cuckoo's last cry.

Tollerating and trying to understand and communicating with another in a non-threatening fashion is perhaps important. (trying their footwear on before we try to slip our underwear over their heads would probably work better :wink: ).
Perhaps just what is important Agnes is making the strange 'big human picture' a living, working member of that wee insular world we call 'me,me & me'? Lord forbid, I'm certainly not saying we should treat each other as 'human beings' given the rooster-led Abel & Cain approach we the self-appointed most enlightened species on the planet have evolved to become. Let me suggest that if human strangers in this Dump could agree to disagree on (their own) matters of importance and agree to say allow our humanity to grow from an agreed 'base line' say from the 'bottom' upwards, outwards, inwards and crossways? Who knows it may just even begin a movement of Peace & Love - how original!

In conclusion Agnes. In asking 'just what is important' perhaps you are opening a can of worms (I know, some people eat worms….!) but you have laid down a wee gauntlet and it remains to be seen if such a question is worth a fig or even a custard-pie or even mere 'communion'? :idea:

You made think some more than I probably would have imagined - thank you

Peace & Love to any ET's among us, if not in us, if not of us! :|

:mrgreen:

agnes wrote:
no need to be patronizing

later...

a funny quote i read recently:
“The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.” --Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

"A funny quote I read recently: “The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.”- Terry Pratchett" :)

Therein at the core, lies human error - 'god's whispering snake in the grass, ready to patronize my dumb ass. :oops:

And “just what is important?” – Truth exposed by tender loving kindness :idea:

Butt what’s all this got to do with “The Polar Vortex 50 USA!” - EVERYTHING and perhaps some more!

"There are times to leave it alone and times to kick it around, times to provoke sleeping dogs and times to join them. Essentially - Be yourself without having to resort to consistency." - ADG

The consistency of Human error is a mind-blowing Stand - We are where we are, in need of 'God's' Magic Wand.

I'll just be myself and keep kicking the can

PEACE and LOVE to all above and below

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

woodstock69 wrote:
"A funny quote I read recently:

Me too ,

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:15 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Giantone wrote:
woodstock69 wrote:
"A funny quote I read recently:

Me too ,

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx

:P Harpo Speaks :lol: :D

sláinte mhaith Groucho G :wink:

"I like paintings more than most of the painters I've met. But I know painters I like. Most of them are dead." - ADG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Agnes, I'm not sure if you were referring to me in asking "so what is it you are trying to convince me of?"

I was only making an attempt at translating 69's thoughts. If you referred to bible thumpers in general then my telling you I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything is unnecessary.

I'm still trying to figure my way through my feelings. I read, I think, I reflect on my upbringing. I wonder what folks who don't have the fallback to God option do when they find themselves in a foxhole of whatever sort. Confronting the worst possible situation, what do they think and say. We know its not dear god let me not die and I'll give 50% of all I have to the church or something along those lines.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Man I love Groucho.
Outside of a book, a dog is mans best friend. Inside of a book it's too dark to read.

And Virgil too.
Happy he who was able to know the causes of things, and trampled beneath his feet all fears, inexorable fate, and the roar of devouring hell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i was saying what i thought about the concept of god.

and how that concept influences life on this planet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 am

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
i was saying what i thought about the concept of god.

and how that concept influences life on this planet

"The 'gods' of men died and there was peace and goodwill across the land. God became a woman and Stardust was born again. The rich and the powerful rested in their Peace once again and Hollywood gave succour! " '69 (for translation please :) )

dust to dust

So long, it's been good to know you :arrow:

http://youtu.be/zqiblXFlZuk

"Don't let the moments slip away, becoming less than everything and more than nothing. In that moment between all and none, everything just is. And in what is; you are. Stay there until further notice." - ADG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:
So long, it's been good to know you :arrow:

http://youtu.be/zqiblXFlZuk

an interesting conversation about the dust bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQhP8NZi5t8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

"Polar Vortex" What wee Polar Vortex? Global warming may just be about to interfere with the weather again or was it us interfering with Mother Nature's scheme of things. Anyway it might be a good idea to pull on the Long Johns again folks. Hopefully most of us will keep warm, if not wet!

I forget, Does Santa live in the North or South Pole these days og Global disturbance? (Need his new address if anyone knows..)

Peace and lots of warm goodwill.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Not only the 'Polar Vortex' but there's a most 'historic' snowstorm/blizzard blowing in the wind right across the east coast of the US. Still wondering about 'Global Warming'?

It's going to be a tough time for the weaker parts of society including the homeless (and then ther's the Ukraine!)

Stay safe and warm