Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:51 am

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
Quote:
All those people who have died over the last 10 years for no apparent reason, hilarious!

They are the lucky ones. The joke is on the ones who have to endure Mother Natures rage and worse.

I watch Romney fighting to drill for more oil and mine more coal just to continue pumping more carbon into the atmosphere when the earliest signs of newly awakened glacial fractures are being seen in Menomenee County, echoing through Clintonville Wisconsin. Then I see Barack showing us wind power. Even we rocket scientists are seeking better ways to put things in orbit than spewing more smoke and fire into the atmosphere.

Social impacts while making adjustments to repair all the damage caused by ex-president Bunny Ears are to be expected. Pension decline? How can someone blame that on anyone except themselves for expecting "happily ever after" from a corporate thief to begin with?

way to jostle the attention (away from the matter of healthcare)

i don't know why i bothered to say anything

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Quote:
i don't know why i bothered to say anything

I do :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
............Pension decline? How can someone blame that on anyone except themselves for expecting "happily ever after" from a corporate thief to begin with?

is this like blaming the victims and giving the thieves a pass?

that reminds me, is glass steagall act coming back?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

As sad as it is, yes, referring to the former. I suppose, though, it's tough to see the train when we walking in a dip... or working for one.

Most didn't realize how much damage Nixon was going to do to us. He did well his first term, or so it seemed. Now the train is over the crest and we are in a deep valley.

Obama unlocked the chains tying us to the track. Ryan and Romney will strap us back to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

As for the GS act, like Clinton once said, it's no longer relevant. As for the pensions, it is more like 20/20 hindsight. We should have known better than to put all our eggs in one basket if we weren't the one in charge of the handle.

We all are injured. My brand new plan is to write and publish hand bound, hardcover books. I'm writing one. People are always saying "I want to write my book." Don't talk about it. Do it. The covers are what sell them and go for $40 on up. Poems work. Sketchbooks work. The individual, metaphorical grass roots effort needs to be revisited.

Off soap box.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
I notice you addressed that part of my commentary, though, as opposed to addressing the more important issue of taking responsibility for one's own mistakes. You complain about corporate failings of pensions and such. You failed yourself by not investing in yourself, rather than paying into some rotating corporate mindset with the idea they would do as promised.

Please don't project your fantasy world on me!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
As for the GS act, like Clinton once said, it's no longer relevant.

after the long effort by republicans to repeal the GS act, and it end up being signed off on by clinton, i am pretty sure i read somewhere even clinton wound up saying afterward something along the lines...hmmm, maybe that wasn't such a hot idea

so anyway, how about we put it back

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 am

Senior ArloNetizen

heraclitis wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
I notice you addressed that part of my commentary, though, as opposed to addressing the more important issue of taking responsibility for one's own mistakes. You complain about corporate failings of pensions and such. You failed yourself by not investing in yourself, rather than paying into some rotating corporate mindset with the idea they would do as promised.

Why not? You projected your whining about your own failure of a fantasy world on me? It's obvious. The choices you made were failures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 am

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
As for the GS act, like Clinton once said, it's no longer relevant.

after the long effort by republicans to repeal the GS act, and it end up being signed off on by clinton, i am pretty sure i read somewhere even clinton wound up saying afterward something along the lines...hmmm, maybe that wasn't such a hot idea

so anyway, how about we put it back

What good would it do, Agnes? Essentially it would forbid a small failing bank from being absorbed by a prospering bank. Effectively it would encourage more anti-trust activity and monopolization. If the small bank fails, its customers might be insured by the FDIC but they end up at the door of a prospering bank anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 am

Arlo Fanatic

it looks like it helped a lot to have it in place, and taking it away a mistake....so putting it back does not sound like a bad idea!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 am

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
it looks like it helped a lot to have it in place, and taking it away a mistake....so putting it back does not sound like a bad idea!

What do you think putting it back will accomplish? Isn't the "ship" pretty much scuttled anyway? Hasn't the "Titanic" US economy already broke up and sank?

I think a better solution is for those of us that made it into lifeboats need to pool our knowledge (no pun intended) and rethink the entire idea of keeping ships afloat from the get go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
agnes wrote:

What do you think putting it back will accomplish? Isn't the "ship" pretty much scuttled anyway? Hasn't the "Titanic" US economy already broke up and sank?

I think a better solution is for those of us that made it into lifeboats need to pool our knowledge (no pun intended) and rethink the entire idea of keeping ships afloat from the get go.

considering the long effort involved in the repealing of the GS act (which was put into place during the great depression) to begin with, i am not surprised to hear resistance to its being reinstated now

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Personally I would not be any resistance to something that can be shown logically to have great benefit. I simply asked what good you think reinstating it would do.

I also stated, essentially, that I think we are beyond the point of no return on current economic platforms. There weren't 7 billion people on the planet during the Great Depression. Personally I think, as there once were millionaire shakedowns, we should institute Billionaire shakedowns today.

I'm not the one crying in my beer over failed corporate promises. If the grid in America goes down, I still won't be crying in my beer and I'm certainly no rich man. Do you think Mitt or Paul will be crying in their beer? Will you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
heraclitis wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:

Why not? You projected your whining about your own failure of a fantasy world on me? It's obvious. The choices you made were failures.

I was not whining about anything. I was responding to your apolitical the world is lost bullshit. My retirement investments have been stagnant because of the great Wall Street Greed fiasco. My pension was downgraded because of the great Wall Street Greed fiasco. They are not gone. They didn't fail. They just don't have as much value as they would have if the great fiasco had not occurred. Then I read this other crap you write to Agnes about the economy and jeez Louise?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
Personally I would not be any resistance to something that can be shown logically to have great benefit. I simply asked what good you think reinstating it would do.

I also stated, essentially, that I think we are beyond the point of no return on current economic platforms. There weren't 7 billion people on the planet during the Great Depression. Personally I think, as there once were millionaire shakedowns, we should institute Billionaire shakedowns today.

I'm not the one crying in my beer over failed corporate promises. If the grid in America goes down, I still won't be crying in my beer and I'm certainly no rich man. Do you think Mitt or Paul will be crying in their beer? Will you?

You speak of failed corporate promises? What promises did they make you?