Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post subject: Re: an interesting doco
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
As if yours do. Merit this, Colorado Springs just got hit with what amounts to a "snow cone." A foot of hail dumped along with a tornado, inclusive of twisters in the area. Coincidence that the sun split into 4 poles last month according to the Hinode team.

Your inability to see any point other than yours reveals your ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Yawn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59 am

Arlo Fanatic

heraclitis wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
All of them are better than someone putting a dog turd in a styrofoam cup and calling it art or Mapplethorp getting a $40k NEA award to take a picture of a crucifix in a toilet full of urine.

Now you place the mantle of censor and moralist on to save our souls! I would personally prefer a dog turd in a cup or I would have no problem pissing on a crucifix if it would end mans experiments with genocide. It is pretty obvious you and I have different values!

and it looks like the crucifix thing wasn't actually mapplethorpe's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

heraclitis wrote:
heraclitis wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:
Of course we have different values. I base mine around truth and ethics. ou base yours around puff and fluff and redundancy.

Give us a truth? I have been looking for a truth everywhere and you have them all? Come on, share?

DrCharbonneau wrote:
I'm sure the potential genocide of an entire planet's civilization by second hand smoke and the depletion of resources that never should have been disrupted to begin with, is okay in your book?

I think it a silly way that you present it but I have never said poor stewardship of the Earth is OK in my book! In fact, I don't think that statement is truthful or ethical! What's up with that?

How about a poll:

Is it moral to deceive people about another individuals position on a topic and then project your perception of their opinion without any discussion on the topic?

I say it is neither moral or ethical!

i like this post...and the more i read it the more i like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:22 am

Senior ArloNetizen

As a concept of ethics it works well. As a weapon of web socializing it's a self incriminating travesty. A "clichety clack on a train of thought[?] from a clichey quack."

If derivative work is immoral then we'd be doing this over the "Intercup[and string]"
If intuition and actually giving credit to the source of an idea is immoral, then so is every critique or citation that makes a quote. Unfortunately it makes it immoral to show a video clip in a thread without the express permission of the author or film maker. The moment the link to the film is made, a claim is also made to the content, whether critical or in consensus. The moment a comment is made that requires someone watching the whole work, it becomes derivative work.

If someone discusses some reasonable amount of what's there, comparing it to other works that might form a bibliography, then they are not plagiarizing. Some forums on the net might have actually given poor Agnes a citation for plagiarism because she used just one example or spam because she failed to make initial commentary and other works to compare against. I think that's a bit much, but I'm not the one who raised the question of ethics.

If you look at most of my launch posts, the links or reasonable use amounts to references. Usually the compositions are my own. Most of what I see from the "cliche" is something like "Me too! Look what I found to please the dominant cliche member." If it pleases the cliche to dissent upon the chosen pariah, then it shall happen and usually by those who have difficulty thinking in more than a sentence or two at a time if that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

Goofus wrote:
Thank goodness you are here now to represent they way, the truth, and the light.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
If you look at most of my launch posts, the links or reasonable use amounts to references. Usually the compositions are my own. Most of what I see from the "cliche" is something like "Me too! Look what I found to please the dominant cliche member." If it pleases the cliche to dissent upon the chosen pariah, then it shall happen and usually by those who have difficulty thinking in more than a sentence or two at a time if that.

reading your posts has been like chasing after your marbles. just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Funny. I usually only get that sort of hype from the troll circles. Maybe you've been chasing troll drivel so long that anything above that level is confusing. Reduced to empty one liners. Two at best. Even my "Yawn" has more depth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
Funny. I usually only get that sort of hype from the troll circles. Maybe you've been chasing troll drivel so long that anything above that level is confusing. Reduced to empty one liners. Two at best. Even my "Yawn" has more depth.

Maybe you've been caught up in your head so long that you have lost touch with everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
As a concept of ethics it works well. As a weapon of web socializing it's a self incriminating travesty. A "clichety clack on a train of thought[?] from a clichey quack."

If derivative work is immoral then we'd be doing this over the "Intercup[and string]"
If intuition and actually giving credit to the source of an idea is immoral, then so is every critique or citation that makes a quote. Unfortunately it makes it immoral to show a video clip in a thread without the express permission of the author or film maker. The moment the link to the film is made, a claim is also made to the content, whether critical or in consensus. The moment a comment is made that requires someone watching the whole work, it becomes derivative work.

If someone discusses some reasonable amount of what's there, comparing it to other works that might form a bibliography, then they are not plagiarizing. Some forums on the net might have actually given poor Agnes a citation for plagiarism because she used just one example or spam because she failed to make initial commentary and other works to compare against. I think that's a bit much, but I'm not the one who raised the question of ethics.

I did not like this post...the more I read it the more ridiculous it becomes

(edited to say I paraphrased Agnes as I don't want a citation for plagiarism)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Goofus wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:

Maybe you've been caught up in your head so long that you have lost touch with everything else.

Or maybe you've been hanging around with dullards for so long that you can't form a worthwile comment about the subject instead of the author. Worse yet you appear unaible to compose beyond a simple sentence. Do we need to restrict our senetences to 8 words or less for your convenience? Should we type s l o w e r ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't give a shit what you do Doc. You seem to be the only one I hear that has an issue with me. You seem to have a bunch of issues with a group of people that don't have any issues with each other. You make petty degrading comments about people. You don't follow the scientific method as far as I can see, and you haven't posted anything worthy of more than a few words in response. If you want respect you also have to give it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Quote:

I imagine it has to do with the basic honesty of these so-called "people who have no issues with each other." In line with the topic it could be said that the Nazis had no issues with each other. You don't have problems with "the others" because you suck right up to the dominant cliche member. If somebody decides they don't suck up like the others, you join right in to kick them. I made no snide remarks against you till you leveled some at me.

As for the so-called "scientific method" I don't think you'd know what that is if it came up and bit you on the nose, then handed you a calling card. My response to those who question my version of scientific exploration is simply this: "Happy heating bill."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Not unless you call disagreeing with you a snide remark. I didn't say snide. I said petty and degrading.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Not much difference save to split hairs. You do to me what you abhor being done to you. A thought like that beckons for peace and civility. How can you find anything petty or degrading in that?

I found the documentary and even Hercs original comment interesting and even a bit inspiring. The barrage of garbage returned has left me feeling like Vichy France...