Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:49 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I put this here mostly as a place to discuss our personality clashes. It is inspired by the agitating posts we sometimes receive that might leave some a bit angry, but for me leave me rolling my eyes thinking "Rats! Here's another one!" In hopes of creating nussances away from the bench, in lieu of while sitting on the bench, maybe we can discuss our personalities and how we perceive ourselves as well as others. Personally I think it takes away from how I would otherwise respect someone, when a post implicitly calls me a liar. I'm not the best communicator. Word grubber, yes. Grammaticist, no. Eccentric, without a doubt. Liar? No. During my life I've been detected, infected, injected, but mostly neglected, but on the net so often disrespected and it may be that I'm simply encountering people who live in fear of being exposed for not knowing everything. Aspergers sufferers perhaps? OCPD? A Freudean throwback to anal retentiveness?

The example I'd make is clashing with Heraclitis (Hercules according to most sources) over technical "chit-chat." Our nicks we choose tell a lot about the person behind the post. If we give ourselves a nick associated with a powerful dude, we betray our inner fears of being seen as less. We choose a hero's name, a legend and we are showing that we see ourselves as the hero of our story and an educated person may see that as a variety of mental defects. But compare that to Ogre in "Revenge of the Nerds" especially part 2 where Ogre finally admits to being what he has been deceived by the Alphas to believe he hates: a nerd. He's still Ogre, but he jumped to the right camp and we discovered he's really pretty intelligent.

The one thing that can be counted on is this. If you call me "Kid," I will respond by expressing my views about your mental health. Both out of concern and to show you how it feels. Maybe its safest to be who we are, say what and who we are, express ourselves honestly and to try not to label others or blatantly try to destroy them or their credibility. We are currently living in an era when we need to pull together unless we want to get run over by Mother Nature, or maybe worse end up taking the long way home to Heaven, if not the express short way home to Hell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
I put this here mostly as a place to discuss our personality clashes. It is inspired by the agitating posts we sometimes receive that might leave some a bit angry, but for me leave me rolling my eyes thinking "Rats! Here's another one!" In hopes of creating nussances away from the bench, in lieu of while sitting on the bench, maybe we can discuss our personalities and how we perceive ourselves as well as others. Personally I think it takes away from how I would otherwise respect someone, when a post implicitly calls me a liar. I'm not the best communicator. Word grubber, yes. Grammaticist, no. Eccentric, without a doubt. Liar? No. During my life I've been detected, infected, injected, but mostly neglected, but on the net so often disrespected and it may be that I'm simply encountering people who live in fear of being exposed for not knowing everything. Aspergers sufferers perhaps? OCPD? A Freudean throwback to anal retentiveness?

The example I'd make is clashing with Heraclitis (Hercules according to most sources) over technical "chit-chat." Our nicks we choose tell a lot about the person behind the post. If we give ourselves a nick associated with a powerful dude, we betray our inner fears of being seen as less. We choose a hero's name, a legend and we are showing that we see ourselves as the hero of our story and an educated person may see that as a variety of mental defects. But compare that to Ogre in "Revenge of the Nerds" especially part 2 where Ogre finally admits to being what he has been deceived by the Alphas to believe he hates: a nerd. He's still Ogre, but he jumped to the right camp and we discovered he's really pretty intelligent.

The one thing that can be counted on is this. If you call me "Kid," I will respond by expressing my views about your mental health. Both out of concern and to show you how it feels. Maybe its safest to be who we are, say what and who we are, express ourselves honestly and to try not to label others or blatantly try to destroy them or their credibility. We are currently living in an era when we need to pull together unless we want to get run over by Mother Nature, or maybe worse end up taking the long way home to Heaven, if not the express short way home to Hell.

You may have an issue. People get called kid a lot. Somebody heard it in a song somewhere. I didn't realize you were a doctor of psychology. I think some of your posts are really weird, but I'm kind of goofy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I'm a doctor of physics and an engineer by trade. I'm also a bit eccentric, so, yes, my posts may seem weird. I dabble in psychology because my other half was a psychiatric nurse. (She's disabled with MS now. Part of why I work as an independent...)

Mostly it seems that getting to know each other on the net can be an enjoyable, even intimate experience, but at times when we pursue our own happiness, we tend to encroach on someone else's.

I always associate "issue" with something we might hear from Officer Obie. "Kid" sounds like something a drill seargent would say to exault himself above the troops. I think one of the problems is in the factionalism that has dis-evolved the english language. It's as if the tower of babel repeats itself.

We are all special at something. Why do we need to talk down to others?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:

That was my point to you doc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Goofus wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:

That was my point to you doc.

Then we have consensus. You do know the meaning of "talking down," or condescendence, does not mean speaking to someone with superlatives, but quite the opposite, it is to "baby talk" to someone. If I need to slow down a bit, someone else has the obligation of letting me (or anyone else in who might be an esoteric field) know.

Some people speak a lot but say little. Some people speak a little and say a lot. Some people speak a lot and say a lot too. Some people speak very little and say very little too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:

Heraclitis (Hercules according to most sources)

If you call me "Kid,"

I had an Aunt Jesse who was a bit of crazy old bird. She was actually my Mom's aunt. It was always funny when she would get together with my Grandfather (he was married to her sister). He was the one that hated FDR because he lost his job grading roads out in Southwest Oklahoma back in the dirty 30's when my mom and her sister, Gordonna (now that's an Okie name), were just little girls. Anyway, old FDR gave that steady work to the WPA kids. Eventually he (my grandfather) had to take a job with the WPA and moved up by Stillwater Oklahoma to help build Lake Carl Blackwell. He left my Grandmother and the kids down there in Walnut Park running a gas station/honk and holler. Anyway, We would be playing dominoes or spades or something and Aunt Jesse would start talkin' (now she was talker that liked to talk). She would always start out whatever she would say with "Now kid,...." and proceed to talk for some time to come. Well, she would would barely get the word kid out of mouth when my grandfather, we called him Pop, well Pop would start gettin' restless and annoyed, not at what Jesse was saying...it was just cause she was talkin'. You see Pop was a talker who liked to talk. Pretty soon he would just start talking about something completely different. Well Jesse would say well kid, now I was a talkin' and she would would just talk louder. Well Pop, not to be outdone, would clear his throat and get to talkin even louder. The rest of us had just gotten use to this and we would be just sittin' around counting up the little points on our dominoes or strategizing how to go nil with the old tres-o-spades in ours hands you know!

Don't know why that story come to me?

Conversation would be something like:

Jesse: well kid, they don't have them honk and hollers no more like they used to. Used to you could jus honk and holler out anything and now you can't do that no more.
Pop would say: Now that Heraclitus, he aint got nothin to do with Hercules you know. Hercules was a fiction and Heraclitus was a philosopher.
Jesse would say: I remember a time we was down near Chickasha after we had just drove across that old rickety bridge on the South Canadian, you know kid the one were you close your eyes and drive across that thing.
Pop would get a little louder and say: A man came up from Wynnewood tried to sell me some that Herculaen gas, he said it was so much better cause of its octane rating I could sell it for an extra penny a gallon.
Jesse would kick it up a notch: well kid, we was at this honk and holler and some "colored parties" (that is how my family referred to black folk back then) pulled up to the honk and holler and hollered "fill'em up". Jesse said, well kid that old man there said, "I don't sell no black gas! The only thing I got dark here is coke and i won't sell that to you either!"
Pop would get louder and say: I told that fella that it sure stinks down by that refinery in Wynnewood where they crack that oil. Then I said (Pop said), "I don't need none of that Herculean gas with the high octane rating cause these folks around here don't have an extra penny to spend on a gallon of gas. Least not for these old jalopys in this neck the woods.
You know about that time I would domino (hopefully racking up a good 20 point score or more) and the commotion would halt the talking long enough for Mom Mom (my grandmother) to say, "I would have sold'em some gas and cokes and sandwiches if they had wanted'em.

It was good times back there when I was a kid!

Now that is what i think about that!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Sounds like someone was bound for glory one day. Maybe you? :)

Since then we've had 70 or 80 years of watching how others react to the words and deeds of others close to them. Now, on the net, we are watching how they react to the words and deeds of others not so close to us. We have learned that people are genetically predisposed to certain idosyncrasies, then our environment of rearing adds to and cultivates all that. We either take some positive or negative trait we were taught and live it out as a link in our parents and grandparents chain of logic/illogic, or we decide to change it so we don't end up like they did in their particular day of demise.

In a sense, it took shovels and rakes and implements of destruction to put all that garbage on top of us. It will take shovels and rakes and implements of destruction to remove it.

Is it correct to say that Arlo was a last child?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:
Sounds like someone was bound for glory one day. Maybe you? :)

Since then we've had 70 or 80 years of watching how others react to the words and deeds of others close to them. Now, on the net, we are watching how they react to the words and deeds of others not so close to us. We have learned that people are genetically predisposed to certain idosyncrasies, then our environment of rearing adds to and cultivates all that. We either take some positive or negative trait we were taught and live it out as a link in our parents and grandparents chain of logic/illogic, or we decide to change it so we don't end up like they did in their particular day of demise.

In a sense, it took shovels and rakes and implements of destruction to put all that garbage on top of us. It will take shovels and rakes and implements of destruction to remove it.

Is it correct to say that Arlo was a last child?

I have no idea what you a trying to say?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Quote:
I have no idea what you a trying to say?

For example, honking and yelling. In the 30's people were happy to know their neighbors and many people kept the same hours. Today if you honk or yell at 7:00am, you might get a brick thrown at you, or even someone "pops a cap in yo..." if they're having a bad morning and they perceive you as its cause. If we decide not to resist change, we may find what our parents and their parents have taught us by example must be discarded and we adapt to modern social demands by changing ourselves. If the example set for us was dysfunctional, we must choose to continue the nature of that dysfunction and clash with those who see it as such, or adapt to the needs of society by essentially practicing a style that blends in as a remedy in lieu of acting as a cancer.

Our parents teach us both good and evil. By choosing from that salad bar, we become ourselves. To find ourselves, we, at some point, must lose ourselves. If we never depart from what we were, we can never grow into what we may really be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

heraclitis wrote:

Conversation would be something like:

Jesse: well kid, they don't have them honk and hollers no more like they used to. Used to you could jus honk and holler out anything and now you can't do that no more.
Pop would say: Now that Heraclitus, he aint got nothin to do with Hercules you know. Hercules was a fiction and Heraclitus was a philosopher.
Jesse would say: I remember a time we was down near Chickasha after we had just drove across that old rickety bridge on the South Canadian, you know kid the one were you close your eyes and drive across that thing.
Pop would get a little louder and say: A man came up from Wynnewood tried to sell me some that Herculaen gas, he said it was so much better cause of its octane rating I could sell it for an extra penny a gallon.
Jesse would kick it up a notch: well kid, we was at this honk and holler and some "colored parties" (that is how my family referred to black folk back then) pulled up to the honk and holler and hollered "fill'em up". Jesse said, well kid that old man there said, "I don't sell no black gas! The only thing I got dark here is coke and i won't sell that to you either!"
Pop would get louder and say: I told that fella that it sure stinks down by that refinery in Wynnewood where they crack that oil. Then I said (Pop said), "I don't need none of that Herculean gas with the high octane rating cause these folks around here don't have an extra penny to spend on a gallon of gas. Least not for these old jalopys in this neck the woods.

and...
heraclitis wrote:
You know about that time I would domino (hopefully racking up a good 20 point score or more) and the commotion would halt the talking long enough for Mom Mom (my grandmother) to say, "I would have sold'em some gas and cokes and sandwiches if they had wanted'em.

awww, that sounds like something my grandmom would say...i could hear her say it,,,exactly as written...all you have to do is read it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

:slaps forehead:

After reading that the second time around, it meant something entirely different. (Rod Serling ambling up into the foreground...)

My mistake, Heraclitis.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus

Good thing I'm not writing the book on ancient Greeks... :eyeroll:

Webster's needs a trip out to the woodshed...

I never knew most of my grandparents and my grandfather only for a few of my youngest years. I take it "honk and holler" was the name of the gas station your grandfather owned?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 am

Arlo Fanatic

DrCharbonneau wrote:

I never knew most of my grandparents and my grandfather only for a few of my youngest years. I take it "honk and holler" was the name of the gas station your grandfather owned?

Honk and Holler is kind of symbolic of an approach to life where I come from. This particular set of grandparents had two kids in rural Oklahoma in 1930 and they did what they needed to do to survive. He graded roads and worked construction or if the times called for deconstruction and he kept a garden all his life (not for fun but because he was raised that was how to survive). The honk and holler comes from providing service. People would pull into filling stations when they were on the road and they would honk to get attention. They might want gas or they could just want cokes or sandwiches. The honk and holler was a means of creating an interaction with whoever was running the place. It is just a term or association that is familiar to me about the way of life in that era when my grandparents were young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Glod-RNc0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 am

Senior ArloNetizen

heraclitis wrote:
DrCharbonneau wrote:

Honk and Holler is kind of symbolic of an approach to life where I come from. This particular set of grandparents had two kids in rural Oklahoma in 1930 and they did what they needed to do to survive. He graded roads and worked construction or if the times called for deconstruction and he kept a garden all his life (not for fun but because he was raised that was how to survive). The honk and holler comes from providing service. People would pull into filling stations when they were on the road and they would honk to get attention. They might want gas or they could just want cokes or sandwiches. The honk and holler was a means of creating an interaction with whoever was running the place. It is just a term or association that is familiar to me about the way of life in that era when my grandparents were young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Glod-RNc0

The youtube is meaningless on this machine, but the rest of your post is informative. I actually did figure that out a bit after digesting it all. My take on all is that I should and now truly value these little slices of American history. I missed out on that type of thing, but do experience it a bit by making repairs on "this old (1930's built clapboard) house." Thank you for feeding my imagination. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:00 am

Arlo Fanatic

Very interesting stuff ya'll are writing.