Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I'm of the opinion that we don't know enough about this supervolcano out west to ignore it's possibility of doing a lot of harm to a lot of America if not the planet. I've been searching the net for as much information about the Yellowstone Caldera as I can find. That has told me we should be concerned about this place. The native Americans (Turtle Islanders) seemed to think of Yellowstone as a place of evil spirits, so stayed away for the most part. The question I have is a bit different than mainstream science asks. I ask not when it will erupt but has it been slowly erupting for about the last 400 years and we simply have no way of determining such? Another question is what will happen if the natural gas companies decide to start fracking in that area?

Any thoughts about the park and our safety?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Yellowstone is a controversy between geologists, non-geologists of scientific persuasions and non-geologists of theist persuasions. From the perspective of the middle category, it would seem many forces are work, man's as well (i.e. fracking), pointing to the possibility the Yellowstone Caldera might erupt within most of our lifetimes. From the latter perspective, it may make one wonder if this supervolcano is the "bottomless pit" described in the Revelation. Chemistry may enter the discussion, but basic physics so often pre-empts it all simply because we are only learning to use Doppler Geoseismology methods to image what the interior of our planet is like. We can get a bit more of an idea from what the space probes that be have told us (and still are) about these other worlds in our solar system. The question would certain ly arise "How can anything be a bottomless pit?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I wanted to put this comment in here somewhere as a time log. I've been working on developing a mathematical system for predicting solar flares based upon the magnetic symmetry of combined solar and planetary fields. I had some success with last October 15, January 20, then we had some minor ones in February that didn't hit the News. I predicted one for the 17th or 19th of March, but it came early (no wise cracks ladies) the next is for tomorrow, the 5th of April and after that the 5th of May. I've been studying the buildup using the data from SOHO's LASCO 2 imaging, where the star itself is masked. Can't say for cetain but it seems the internet tends to screw up on high solar days.

If I miss this one or even the rest this year, it is harmless to the study, but the more I get right, the more I can fine tune the system...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 am

Senior ArloNetizen

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/rea ... t_304/512/

Her's a link to SOHO. If you look at it today, you'll see the image is incomplete. My experiences are this is the satellite's symptom of being overwhelmed by particles. It could also be the reception on this end.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

What's on my mind is still stuff like this:

WEEKEND AURORAS: Last night, April 6-7, parts of the high Artic Circle were alight with auroras so bright even the full Moon couldn't overwhelm them. In the village of Ivujivik, Nunavik (Canada), many of the luminous formations reminded onlooker Gilles Boutin of flowers:

That was from today's space weather.

For the Aurora to occur like that on the 6th and 7th, there would have needed to be at least a minor storm on the 5th, which would be the day I predicted... again :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I should mention, too, that the positions of the planets can produce "spontaneous" auroras, but in this case I've been watching the LASCO C2 for a few days prior to SOHO's instruments screwing up. Everything was indicating there was a flare on eoither the 4th or 5ht, but we didn't hear anything on the news about it. They don't announce every one...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

CHANCE OF MAGNETIC STORMS: NOAA forecasters estimate a ~30% chance of geomagnetic storms around the poles on April 9th. That's when a CME is expected to deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field. The cloud was propelled in our direction by a solar filament erupting on April 5th (movie). High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Aurora

This is from Spaceweather.com

It's confirmed. This is actually getting a bit exciting. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out around the year's end. After that point I'll have enough hits and misses to refine it all. Guess I did something right here, eh?