Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post subject: Re: Occupy America
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks DRR. I pulled a sixty hour week in a high tension situation. Certains aspects of the the job are brutal but a paycheck is a paycheck and it was getting bleak being out of work for six mos. Things are rough out here so when one sees folks like Arlo and others standing up, it's a heckuva morale builder.

I'm fine. The weekend has come and the best football of the season is on tap for tomorrow night. Time to reeeelax! ROOOLLLL TIDE! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Right on, glad to hear its all good. This is my short week, only 3 - 12's. My wife and I get 2 days off a month together, one is this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:15 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hearts will rise sounds like a song title. :)

Post subject: R Crumb Interview
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Read the full interview here...

http://motherjones.com/mixed-media/2011 ... collection

The last 2 questions...
MJ: I read on your website that one reason for going to France was that you had become disgusted with America. What do you mean by that?

RC: Well, the corporatization of culture. We lived in inland California, the Central Valley, and we witnessed over a period of 20 years of this invasion of shopping malls and corporate businesses and everything, and it lost all of its old character. Any kind of authentic character that it had was rapidly getting lost. The expanding urban development was just horrible to behold.

MJ: Have you been following Occupy Wall Street at all?

RC: Oh yeah, it’s great stuff. I think they should stay there, and persist and persist until they have some effect. I don’t know what effect they can have. I was thinking about it last night, I was laying in bed, thinking, “Can this thing have any effect on the wealthy establishment?" They’re so entrenched, they’re so powerful. I don’t know if they even care that people go there and demonstrate. What will it take, an armed revolution? That’s violent, and I’m kind of against violence. Violence begets violence, and then you get leaders who are violent men. And you don’t want that. You don’t want some Stalin in there as your left-wing leader. But it’s a great thing to see. I kinda thought that the American youth were very complacent and indifferent about all that, or just didn’t know what to do. But somebody got this thing going.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

The local pol's (mayors) are begining to feel the heat. Surprised at how long it took them to figure out this is costing them money? Goofus is correct. Abundantly correct.

Now that we have their attention...

How will they respond?

I know how I want them to respond, up the chain of command, thats how it works.

Go tell that, as the kids say.

Occupiers should adopt Kesey's Hank Stamper's motto from Sometimes A Great Notion...

NEVER GIVE AN INCH

I want equal rights. I want equal influence. I am in pursuit of my happiness.

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/07/142102081 ... ity-mayors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:07 am

Arlo Fanatic

DRR wrote:
Occupiers should adopt Kesey's Hank Stamper's motto from Sometimes A Great Notion...

NEVER GIVE AN INCH

I want equal rights. I want equal influence. I am in pursuit of my happiness.

With Old Henry's severed (and thawing) arm thrusting skyward, middle finger positioned appropriately. That's why this whole thing is working -----> from the ground up -- "Grab a root and dig" as the old man used to say. And these folks on the front lines, and those who support the effort, want all those things you mentioned......want equal rights, equal influence, the right to pursue happiness FOR EVERYBODY. Thats why it's working. It's already worked. No matter what happens, there's no going back to before. What remains to be seen is how fast and how high and how far and how wide. The bad guys are on the defensive, a position they're not used to being in. The movement's principles are right -- we know it and they know it. Sooner or later "They" have to come to realize that they are included in "We."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:29 am

Arlo Fanatic

This sounds perfectly reasonable:

From the Huffington Post :

First Posted: 11/7/11 04:56 PM ET Updated: 11/7/11 04:59 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- A minuscule tax on financial transactions proposed by congressional Democrats would raise more than $350 billion over the next nine years, according to an analysis by the Joint Tax Committee, a nonpartisan congressional scorekeeping panel.

The analysis was sent Monday to the offices of Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.), the lawmakers who proposed the tax, and provided to The Huffington Post.

The Wall Street Trading and Speculators Tax Act would impose a tax of 0.03 percent on financial transactions, meaning that longterm investors would barely notice it, but traders who move rapidly in and out of positions would feel its sting and, the authors hope, reduce the volume of their speculation in response.

The European Union is pressing forward with a financial transaction tax, though it is encountering some resistance from the United Kingdom, the financial center of Europe.

In order to be effective, the tax would need to be implemented in most major industrial countries where trading is done.

Some believe that the global nature of the Occupy Wall Street movement will boost the chances of the transaction tax being signed into law. While the movement has been criticized for lacking specific demands, protesters have voiced their support for a "meaningful" tax being placed on Wall Street trading.

Specific solutions to economic inequality are not in short supply. What's been missing for years has been the political will to implement them.

"Occupy Wall Street has just reminded a large majority of the American people that our economy was destroyed by gambling on Wall Street. And that the people who destroyed our economy have been amply rewarded and not prosecuted," DeFazio told HuffPost.

The tax would raise $352 billion between January 2013 and December 2021. It faces stiff opposition from congressional Republicans, nearly all of whom have taken a pledge not to support new taxes, as well as ambivalence from some Democrats who rely on Wall Street cash to fund their campaigns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hey Kevin,

Yes a some point they will.

Ha, I half jokingly suspect they may be presently aware of being included in the "we" if only by virtue of knowing whose money "they" are stealing.

As to the second post, I have zero faith that bill will pass. And even if it did, can't we do better than three one hundreths of one percent. Not with our little pal grover pulling the strings.

We need a major overhaul of our government, now.

See my last post under food news, it really belongs here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DRR wrote:
Hey Kevin,

Yes a some point they will.

Ha, I half jokingly suspect they may be presently aware of being included in the "we" if only by virtue of knowing whose money "they" are stealing.

As to the second post, I have zero faith that bill will pass. And even if it did, can't we do better than three one hundreths of one percent. Not with our little pal grover pulling the strings.

We need a major overhaul of our government, now.

See my last post under food news, it really belongs here.

I have been following the corporate domination of the food industry for some time.......a huge issue which relates to the overall OWS movement, and specifically to the Republican candidates calling the EPA a "jobkiller" and pushing for its demise.

I agree that .03% is not much, but it's a start in the right direction.

Your statement: "Ha, I half jokingly suspect they may be presently aware of being included in the "we" if only by virtue of knowing whose money "they" are stealing." is too funny, mainly because its probably true. "True funny,"

I may have been overly idealistic, or optimistic, but that is my nature most of the time for better or worse. Some of these people are psychopaths, and will never stop their outrageous and destructive behavior. But as things go south, I believe that many of the so-called 1% will start to embrace some semblance of empathy and compassion.

If things go really south, this relatively peaceful OWS will seem like a picnic compared to what could happen if enough folks get really desperate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Kevin,
Like you, I too am an optimist and I strive to be humanistic as possible. I try to see the good in everyone, and feel we all have the capacity for good. I'm admitedly not a highly educated person. Not even a very good thinker. Ha, sometimes I stop to think and nothing happens (thanks Curly). Maybe too many hard bike crashes.

But one thing I've learned from hanging around smarter people is to try not to make the same mistake twice. $352B is a huge amount amount of money. But even of this bill overcomes impossible odds and becomes law, by January of '13 these ws folks will have either found a loophole in or around the law or just repealed it completly. (gop win '12)

I have lost faith in these folks ability to do the right thing. And if I ever do trust them it is rightfully "shame on me."

An apt analogy may be a surfer asking a shark to not bite him. Does that shark have the capacity to not eat when it is hungry.

Only these sharks are feeding on us. We just need to open our eyes to the facts.

And to stop them now, and prevent them for doing it again, in whatever clever and different way, we need to overhaul the entire system of financial laws.

While I do agree with you in saying that bill would be a start, in my view we need to start with the end in mind. That end is a major review and overhaul of all financial laws.

And if that is true, how do we get there?

Hit them in the pocketbook. I see it starting to happen. "Occupy" is costing cities money they do not have. They are complaining. That should work its way up the chain of command, to state gov, and then on to national gov., the folks on the big pile of gold. And that is where the pressure to change these laws meets those who can change these laws.

True, we the taxpayers will foot the bill, but we will make up that money and more when we stop them from feeding on us, and make them pay their fair share.

We are the taxpayers and don't we really foot every bill. Lets put our money to work.

Occupy and never give an inch.

Post subject: Not so sure...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

How can this help?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... ss.bayarea

Post subject: Occupy Sesame Street...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Republicans have been trying to cut funding for PBS for some time now and help is on the way. Chevron will no longer be sending $2m a yr to support the News Hour after an ombudsman responded to public outcry re Chevrons statement that "every penny and more (of Chevron's profits last year) went into bringing energy to the world" in their PBS ad.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1LRJ9P.DTL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

If the cat food committee fails will we spend less here?

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/11 ... er-weapons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

They are saying the same things we are all saying. That is a great thing.

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new- ... t-20111108

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:19 am

Senior ArloNetizen

http://www.salon.com/topic/occupy_wall_street/