Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

There are a lot of things I am unhappy with regard to the "compromise" that Obama worked out on extending the Bush tax cuts and extending unemployment benefits. What I don’t understand, is why, suddenly, it’s okay to have a “tax holiday” on Social Security tax, when the system is about to be inundated with baby boomers applying for benefits. In order to get more money in circulation by putting it in hands that will actually spend it, the administration supports a tax holiday on Social Security tax – reducing a worker’s contribution by 2%, giving the average worker a big $1000 for the year… this, at a time when the Republicans want to dismantle the program entirely. Why don’t we make it easy, by underfunding the program further than it already is? This really looks like the beginning of the end of Social Security as we know it.

Things need to change, and I’m okay with having to pay more to fund the benefit. One way is to raise the retirement age. That’s a tough nut to crack, since many people who NEED Social Security are less able to work to advanced age, due to the nature of their work. I don’t have an easy answer to that. But why is only the first $106,800 of income taxed? Why not collect Social Security tax on the first $250K… or the first million? (It won’t matter to people with low income, because 100% of their income already falls well below the first $106,800). That would go a long way to ensuring that Social Security will be funded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Wyldflower wrote:
There are a lot of things I am unhappy with regard to the "compromise" that Obama worked out on extending the Bush tax cuts and extending unemployment benefits.

The Democrats fight as a party or sink as a minority. Obama can't do it alone. The Dems are too wussy and Repubs are blatant evil.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Reminds me of another thread. I think we were discussing the song that never ends.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm all for extending the S.S. Tax to all incomes. That would keep a needed Benefit Funded for ever.

:mrgreen: :oops: :P