Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post subject: Libertarianism
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g5fjlFnln0

Obviously from this clip it is an undefined phenomenon but is it a viable alternative? What does it mean?

Post subject: Re: Libertarianism
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It means you need to pay closer attention to everything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I think it could mean.... "Run for the hills!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:01 am

Arlo Fanatic

EPR wrote:
I think it could mean.... "Run for the hills!"

I agree they are a pretty goofy bunch but one of them says something like "in the breast of every American beats the heart of a libertarion". Now that is a good line, don't you think? What can this mean? Does the Department of Education need to be blown asunder?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:04 am

Arlo Fanatic

No. This means you need to pay closer attention to everything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Tell me more. Why are they so scary?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

heraclitis wrote:
Tell me more. Why are they so scary?

I don't feel that Libertarians in general are scary, In fact there are some ideas and beliefs the Libertarians have that I agree with. There is a little bit from all of the political parties that I can find views that I like and don't like. The Libertarians seem to want to remove national government all together and let the individual states rule themselves and that all the National government should do is have the ability to have a military to protect all of the states. So in lite of this we can just take the United out of the name of our country and just call ourselves "States America" as the states will no longer be united and off on their own.
Now I like and agree with Libertarian views of having the freedom to do what I want on the land that I work hard for and with the home that I live in. But, I don't agree with the idea of removing social programs that in their whole work. Take Social Security for instance. I never bought into the idea that Social Security is a failure so I should get into the 401K program. I took a beating in my 401K. Social Securiity just needs to be reformed not removed.
Its the Anarchy Libertarians that give me the heevy jeevys.........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

I was once in a band named Anarchy Feared.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxuNfET ... re=related

He has the rap down. Philosophically, he sounds more sound than that panel above. The professed libertarians I know are always ready for a Ron Paul rap. The also tend to listen to those right wing libertarian-sounding pop pundits like Glenn Beck.

On a couple of these issues:

I am firmly convinced that all economic models and theories currently used to manage the economy are a load of crap. Their fundamental assumptions about controlling money and resources are flawed. The definitions of jobs and job creation and wealth and investment are borderline at best. Eliminating the federal reserve is certainly revolutionary in this day and age. But, the economy is like a big unwieldy beast that you poke at with a little stick and hope it moves the way you want it.

THe size of the government. It is inefficient and costly. It never seems to change.

Foreign Policy. A total non intervention tear apart the CIA. Now that is pretty radical.

The libertarians I know are quite scary though with owning guns and preparing for the great social unrest and all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:51 am

Senior ArloNetizen

heraclitis wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxuNfETu0I&feature=related

He has the rap down. Philosophically, he sounds more sound than that panel above. The professed libertarians I know are always ready for a Ron Paul rap. The also tend to listen to those right wing libertarian-sounding pop pundits like Glenn Beck.

On a couple of these issues:

I am firmly convinced that all economic models and theories currently used to manage the economy are a load of crap. Their fundamental assumptions about controlling money and resources are flawed. The definitions of jobs and job creation and wealth and investment are borderline at best. Eliminating the federal reserve is certainly revolutionary in this day and age. But, the economy is like a big unwieldy beast that you poke at with a little stick and hope it moves the way you want it.

THe size of the government. It is inefficient and costly. It never seems to change.

Foreign Policy. A total non intervention tear apart the CIA. Now that is pretty radical.

The libertarians I know are quite scary though with owning guns and preparing for the great social unrest and all.

You sound like a Libertarian in the making.. which is OK. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't mean I have to agree with all of the Libertarian views which is the problem that I have with the Libertarians that I know personally. The Libertarians that I know seem to be like robots and not able to listen to other ideas or opinions let alone respect others opinions. Its nice to have passion for your ideas but to not allow others to be free with their beliefs?..Its not what a Demopcracy is all about.
I agree that our government could use a little weight loss but not to the point where the government becomes so anorexic that it doesn't serve the people or protect us. It also seems to me that like some do with the bible Libertarians seem to misinterpret the constitution and form it to their own liking. I would like to see this country move forward and become better as a democracy not go back 234 years.
Just my opinion. Its whats great about this country. I am alowed to have one. Start tearing the government apart the less that idea stays true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

EPR wrote:
You sound like a Libertarian in the making.. which is OK. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't mean I have to agree with all of the Libertarian views which is the problem that I have with the Libertarians that I know personally.

The libertarians I know would not consider me a libertarian. They consider me a liberal. Yes they are very passionate about their ideas. I had a friend fr years get quite up set and disappear from my life over a remark about how so many of the people calling for government intervention over the BP oil spill were the same ones that wanted no government involvement in drilling in the gulf for years. Obviously the response was extreme government regulation led to the crisis.

I will admit I have a strong libertarian philosophical out look in me but I don't see a party or platform that has developed sufficiently to support.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

Social dynamics can be so dang complicated sometimes that everything gets very confusing. Today's Libertarian movement has evolved out of the various populist movements we have seen in the past. 19th and early 20th century parties like the "Grangers," "Free Rangers" and "Bull Moose" were all about trying to keep the Federal gov't from getting too involved in local matters and becoming too full of restrictive regulations. But big corporate entities have always held the real power, and much of the growth of "big gov't" during the 20th century was aimed at reigning in the monopolistic corporate entities. But over the last 40-50 years we have seen this goal become paradoxical, since the line between corporations and government has become invisible or indistinguishable because of the way in which our election and legislation process has been corrupted and perverted by the tremendous influence of special interest lobby's BIG $$$$$. So the idea of government getting bigger and bigger in order to protect us from themselves is oxymoronic and just silly. :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

heraclitis wrote:
I will admit I have a strong libertarian philosophical out look in me but I don't see a party or platform that has developed sufficiently to support.

Now I agree with you on something.. I have registered myself as an Independent mostly because I don't align myself with any party. I vote for the person who I believe will best represent my district or state and do what is best for the people in this country. Although lately there has not been much to choose from here in NH. In fact I can't remember anyone that I really felt good about voting for. Like I say there are bits and pieces from every party that I agree with. The way I vote and is always a consideration for me is what effects the people and not how it affects me as an individual. My main interest is addressing the problems of poverty, jobs, education, healthcare and in that order. But I too am more to the left of center but not so far left that I forget what the middle looks like. :)
-Eric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

now see...i think i am actually learning from this thread...and not being herded! (with blah blah blah)

thank you for this thread