Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

Post subject: Feeling Guilty
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hello,

I was sorting some stuff out the other day and found all my poems, including the one telling of where the Red Lobsters came from :wink: and of course I thought of you guys, as I often do. I had forgotten about the Lobster (which on looking I still have) so wasn't really looking and don't know why after nearly 10 years of not writing poetry I went to look in the box. Perhaps it was because Alan's son who now lives in Washington keeps asking for us to come and visit, and I was saying it would be nice to take Arlo to see where his name came from? don't know.

But I thought to stroll by and look around the boards again and feel guilty that I don't come visiting much, and feel worse when I notice the boards aren't as busy as I remember them.

But please note I do think about you all, and every march 31st I mentally send Larry a happy birthday vibe. I hope you are all well and keeping happy, and to those who don't know or remember me, HI.

Me

Post subject: Re: Feeling Guilty
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

hello beverley,
my favorite girl from manchester

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi Agnes,

Was Just off to bed, but got looking through all your music clips on strangely talented. some beautiful song, the Bob Dylan time Out of Mind.. probably listen to that more than is good for me. keep them coming, if i find time between studies and work i'll try and find some gems you may not have heard of.

Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi Bev! Welcome back! I still visit Arlonet every day but don't post a lot. Most of the old crowd seem to communicate on Facebook these days. Take care. Love and Hug from Deb Louise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

Beverley! Welcome back! So good to see you here! I still check in every day, but, like Louise, don't post much. We mostly check in on Facebook. Are you there?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

hello again beverley,

ya, seems a lot of people have wandered off to face book. it is dang near like a bermuda triangle.

i am not over there, seems a bit much i guess (my opinion)

anyhowz, nice to hear from you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

No I'm not on facebook or twitter, don't like them and don't pay any attention to them. Hi Louise did you get my Christmas card?

Don't get to mooch around on the internet much for pleasure these day's, if I'm not planning for school, I'm planning for scouts, if not scouts I'm up to my eye ball with my degree, just finished my first year and have been getting 60-70% ? not too sure how those two brain cells have survived to create such a spark but they must be good uns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Arlo Fanatic

haha! good for you kid! hang in there

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes Bev I got your Christmas card. Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh, good, I have always wondered if they might get lost.

I still have the little Aboriginal pebble you sent, Arlo was trying to skim it around the front room the other day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome back. We check this place out everyday. If you ever decide to join Facebook, come join the gang there. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hi, cheryl,

I have an issue with facebook and twitter, which I don't generally wave around as I understand and respect most people's reasons for using and enjoying those services.

But don't mine you telling everyone Hi from me.

Can't distract myself any longer now, have work to do, will try and call later tonight or tomorrow though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Made it back.

I'll share a funny story I told Louise at Christmas:-

Arlo (my Arlo) Loves Dr Who, really loves Dr Who, for those who don't know http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/

Any how, it was recently the 50th anniversary special and England went a bit Dr Who mad, including Arlo - every day for weeks " is it the Dr Special tonight?" where I live there are several charity shops and one of them had decorated their shop window with a big Dr Who scene.

The Saturday of the special episode me and Arlo had nipped into town and he spotted this display, in the window was a wardrobe shaped as a full size TARDIS ( Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) again for those who don't know it's Dr who's space ship time machine that look like a 1950 British police phone box {of course!}, and a 4ft inflatable yellow DARLEC ( a baddie - genetically engineered blob thing that lives in a robot that looks like a salt cellar with a loo plunger on the front {of course!!}.

Well on seeing these things he nearly exploded with the kind of desire only children are really seen to display. He was across the road before I could blink bouncing up and down " PLEEESE can I have these, I Really NEEED them, PLEEEEESE" Well it was nearly Christmas and they looked in good condition.

" No there rubbish, where would we put them, but we'll go in and have a look." I managed to ask the assistant if everything was ok with them while Arlo was distracted, but she said they were being Auctioned off not sold [Damn!] but only one other person had placed a bid and bidding closed when the shop closed in 3 hours, they were only being opened on the Monday, all I had to do was write my bit on a piece of paper with contact details put it in a sealed envelope and hand it in before the shop closed.

Ran home, on the computer, I could get a second hand TARDIS with bits missing off ebay for around £40-£50, new £80 and the DARLIC new for around £20????

So I thought in for a penny, Half and hour to spare I sent Javan off to the shop with a £40 bid. Enjoyed the TV Special, and nervously waited all weekend. Monday morning I called round the shop to ask and was told they were opening the two bids when the manager arrive after lunch. Lunch time the phone rings (fingers tightly crossed) " Hello? " Nice One I'd won :-) "I'll be round in five minuets with the money"

Now here's the funny bit.... I arrived at the shop cash in hand and smile on my face asking for the manager. She came out from the back room, "Oh Hi...Was that your son who came in with the bid on Saturday?" "Yes, my eldest, I didn't want my youngest knowing I was bidding as I wanted to put them away as a surprise for Christmas." "Oh right" she said " I was only asking because we only had two bids and when I saw your son I thought I was having a flash back" ? "what do you mean" said I "Oh you'll be too young to know who I'm on about, I'll show you on the computer in the back, has any one ever told you he looks like anyone?" "No?, a bit like the lad from the Life of PI I suppose, why?"

I am now looking at her computer screen laughing away. she said looking at me funny "You won't know who this is but his name is Arlo Guthrie, I think when he was younger he looked like your son."

Can't say I have ever seen it myself, but when I told her his younger brother's name was actually taken from said Arlo's Alice's Restaurants album she laughed with me too.

It's a good old odd world, she did say both bids were the same but didn't actually admit she rang me because she thought Javan looked like a young Arlo, but.... I have a feeling I owe Arlo a big thank you for Arlo's Christmas preasant, they absolutely made his Christmas.

THANK YOU
ADG
:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:22 am

Arlo Fanatic

What a wonderful story about a Christmas that will be long-remembered!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

some interesting turns in that story!