Forums » Group W Forums » Moose Friends Network

Post subject: Eye Surgery (again!)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

Last Monday (Jan. 30) I had another eye surgery...hopefully, the last one for this eye. I had a cataract that was getting in the way of clear sight, caused by all the stuff done to the eye in previous laser treatments to my retina and the two previous surgeries. They successfully removed the cataract and installed a new plastic lens (now I have a body part with a serial number and a card with that number for my wallet! haahaaa!) and my vision has improved from 20-200 corrected to 20-60 uncorrected. They used a local, so I was awake for this. It was freaky, since I could see stuff going on in my eye while it was happening. I didn't feel anything, and even after the local wore off, it was completely painless.
I have better vision, but not perfect vision...it is what it is. I can read and drive and that's pretty much all I ever cared about...being able to go about my business, as usual. My iris is damaged from retina laser treatments over the nerve that operates it (the nerve lies in the back of your eye, under the retina) and function is not likely to return at this point, so I rarely have the right amount of light for really precise vision entering that eye. There's nothing for this, so it's really not a problem...my vision is still better than what it was before the cataract surgery, so I'm happy! In a month, I'll have new glasses (I needed them over a year ago!) and that will help. All things considered, a good result.

Post subject: Re: Eye Surgery (again!)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

So glad you're doing better. Continued prayers and vibes. Have fun at the Arlo shows. Hope to see you there. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cool! Late vibes and blunder hugs...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:45 am

Arlo Fanatic

Great news Sue! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

She was looking good and doing well at the Hampton shows. Continued vibes and prayers. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Congrats on the better vision. That is a good thing to know about laser surgery. I have been very fortunate to not need any glasses, though I thought I did once but it was just a sinus infection lol..

Good luck going forward! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:38 am

Arlo Fanatic

They did some scanning and testing this past week on my eye. Some tests were annoying but easy, one involved dye injected into an arm vein and bright camera flash from close range. Not fun, but necessary. I still have relatively poor vision in my right eye, the one that has had a a lot of stuff done to it. Bottom line is, I have scar tissue growing across the macula (center point of vision in the back of your eye) , It makes everything look kind of hazy. They said they could do more surgery and try to peel off the scar tissue, but odds are pretty good that the retina will peel up with it, and that would be it for that eye. I decided I'm done messing with it... I can read and drive, and I've got enough vision for depth perception. My left eye is correctable to 20/20, so no worries with me driving. They offered to send me to the National Institute if Health for a second opinion, and I turned that down. They'd only be repeating tests I've already had, and the outcome would be similar. So it is what it is...not good vision in my right eye, but good enough to get around. And I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I don't blame you.. I think I would take a little hazy rather than chancing blindness.